An alien's passport is a passport for non-Dutch residents staying or living in the Netherlands who are unable to procure a travel document in their country of origin.
Depending on your residency status in the Netherlands, the alien's passport is valid for a duration of a maximum of 5 years.
Terms and conditions
- You are in possession of a valid regular residency permit for a definite or indefinite period of time (residency document I or II);
- You can demonstrate that it is not possible to procure a passport from your country of origin;
- You are registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP) of the municipality of Arnhem.
Alien's passport: € 54,75
Documents you must provide
When you apply for an alien's passport, you will need to provide:
- a valid residency permit I or II
- a statement by your own authorities that you cannot procure a travel document
- 1 recent colour passport photo that meets the passport photo requirements
- in case you are younger than 18: a completed consent form (Dutch, PDF, 52 kB) and a valid proof of identity of both parents and/or guardians. We will only accept an original as valid, not a copy.
- money (payment by debit preferable to cash)
If you want to request a passport, you have to visit the counter of the Civil Affairs Department in person. You are required to first schedule an appointment online. Please take into account it takes several weeks to process your request.